This blog is dedicated to my great journey to the United States of America. Most of the events take place in San Diego but at a later stage the east coast will take over as the main setting for the story.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Time! It's about time baby...


Another week has gone by quickly, and only 9 whole days left in San Diego. Time really flies sometimes. The last week hasn't been the most active for my part, meaning that not much has been going on really. Just chilling with friends and having a good time. Yeah, good times, these really are good times. Can't remember the last time I had this much fun for 4 months straight. I mean sure, there have been happy periods in my life, plenty of them, but this whole study abroad period has been pure bliss. Of course it helps a lot that I know my life won't be getting any worse when I get back to Finland, though the change in my life and especially in the rhythm of my life will be drastic. But you know as fun as it has been, that kind of change is very welcome actually.

I've made many very good friends while here, but I haven't forgotten my good friends back home. Yes, home...now I'm pretty sure I know where my home is. And of course friends is not the only thing I miss, nor is my family...nor my nuclear family! I miss the crisp winter air, I miss the snow, the cold, rainy days. I miss the small cars that are so common in Finland...you know, those Renault Clios and Volkswagen Polos. Heck, even that ugly Toyota Yaris will be a sight for sore eyes after all these mega pick up trucks. What about the food? I love the food here, there's so many different options...especially the fast food here is light years ahead of that of Finland. Then again, I'm getting a bit tired of all this fast food. Where's the rye bread, real cheese and normal food? I like "cooking" and even real cooking if I have someone to cook with. Meaning someone who actually knows what's going on in the kitchen and can tell me how to do things. I'm learning though.

Naturally there are things I don't miss that much. As hard is might be to believe it, I find it actually more pleasant that people are so extroverted here, and everyone is always smiling. Everyone is extremely helpful if you're in need of assistance. I really don't miss that general grumpyness and sour faces that are so prevalent in Finland, especially during fall...which is exactly what I've managed to avoid by being here. Still, I do miss Finnish people. I've really learned to appreciate the honesty and sincerity that is so common in the wonderful people of Finland.

Now, while all this important and all that, the reason why I want to go back really really bad is my girl, Minttu. Without her I wouldn't be in such a rush. And I don't consider that a limitation or anything, more as something that makes my life a whole lot richer and more exciting. Life is good.

Even though the last week has been somewhat bland, it's only been bland until the last couple of days. First the bad things...we still haven't been able to get our car sold. It's a good car and I wouldn't wanna part with it but I gotta get rid of it before I leave! Other than that, it's been all good. Yesterday was weird. I went to school like normal, and gave a presentation in German...it was for my German class; I don't just go out and give presentations in German for the sheer fun of it. It was on sauna and the sauna culture in Finland, and people actually thought it was very very interesting despite my broken German.

After my German class I witnessed something that can happen only in America. There was a bunch of Christian fundamentalists/extremists at the Aztec Center preaching about Christianity. By the beard of Zeus, great raven of Odin, six arms of Shiva and Ukko Ylijumala himself, if that is Christianity then I'm resigning from church. They gave such a disgusting picture of themselves and their religion it's simply unfathomable. One of the guys actually had a big banner denouncing homos and lesbians, moslems, mormons, roman catholics, unloving husbands, unsubmissive wives(!) and so on. When asked for clarifications and reasons for all that hate they responded by simply reciting their precious Bible. Now I'm pretty convinced that only idiots take the Bible as some form of absolute truth. It was written by men and represents only fraction of the writings about the life of Jesus of Nazareth, and all those gospels were written a generation after the death of Jesus anyway! I told them that at one point but they refused to comment on that...shows just how ignorant they are. It was great entertainment, however, to watch them rant. It even attracted a few gay couples, both male and female couples, to go make out in front of them...followed by cheers from the audience. Also one must not that the smartest comments came from non-christians. And I'm not talking about atheists here either. Just a word of advice for people...stay away from organized religions and find your own path whatever it may be.


In the evening I went to the local Comedy Club at La Jolla with Trever, his friend Rob, Anssi and his girlfriend Suzanne. There were some really good stand up comedians up there on the stage and we some really good laughs, but at one point the level of the performance started to dive bigtime and by the third consecutive crappy comedian me, Trev and Rob decided to bail. One of those guys was seriously tripping, he couldn't be that retarded from just alcohol or weed. Nevertheless, the night was a success and I'd say we all had a good time. Fat Tire is one good beer.


Today I went jogging first thing in the morning. Felt good after doing it, but man that was the most horrible run I've ever done. It just doesn't feel good to go running dehydrated, tired, stiff and with an empty stomach. Well it got better as we were in a rush to get to Chau's house vie Mike's place. We were going golfing. Yes, I went golfing for the first time in my life. Luckily Mike was a first timer as well but I was the worst nevertheless. I had a really good start: as I took my first swing, aiming straight ahead, the next moment I noticed the ball rocketing to the right, towards a car that was (stupidly) parked next to the starting place. Well luckily the ball bounced just before the car and hit it in the bottom so no harm done. We had a good laugh nevertheless. Aside from that, golfing was actually a lot of fun, especially with the heavenly weather of San Diego! Not to mention a few beers and some serious golf car racing!
Concentrate!
That's Chau (one of my best friends here) and me chilling in the golf car.


Look at the guy with glasses in the back...turhan fileissä!?!?!?

After golfing we finally went to have something to eat (it was about time, we hadn't eaten anything before that!)...to the one and only Hooters. Well there are plenty of Hooters restaurants here in San Diego but everyone knows the deal with Hooters...how waitresses in little clothes. Not a bad combination if you ask our party of four. The food wasn't all that special but it did its job and I went through yet another all-American experience! We had a good laugh at Hooters, the whole idea is just off the hook. Anyway, I'm getting a bit tired here and gotta go to bed now...I'll be writing again when I come up with something to write about.

Team Scandinavia here: Perttu, me and Mike.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those Christian extremists were soooooo ignorant! ;)
Greets, Joris

9:11 PM

 
Blogger Jugi said...

Haha indeed they were! I added one the pictures you took already! Again, big ups, a perfect shot.

12:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home